Welsh councillor voices Land Registry concerns

New concerns have been raised over the future of the 400 Land Registry employees in their Swansea office.

The UK Government’s plans to part-privatise the organisation, which records the details of land ownership across Wales and England, is an attempt to save money and although a consultation period ended last month, no announcements have yet been made.

Cimla councillor John Warman, wrote to First Minister Carwyn Jones about the issue.

A Welsh Government spokesman responding for Mr Jones, said: "The consultation closed on March 20 and we are responding to indicate our concerns around staffing matters, the operation of the proposed new service delivery company and the potential impact on the local economy and community around the Swansea Land Registry Office.

"We are currently in the early stages of consultation with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills about these matters, including the potential implications for staff employed at the Land Registry’s office at Swansea."

Mr Warman said that he wanted to praise the Welsh Government for fighting to protect to staff and the future delivery of the service.

Want to have your say? Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read more stories

Join over 7,000 conveyancing professionals – Check back daily for all the latest news, views, insights and best practice and sign up to our e-newsletter to receive our daily and weekly round ups

You’ll receive the latest updates, analysis, and best practice straight to your inbox.

Features

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.