Over the last few weeks I’ve woken up to messages on LinkedIn about how many completions conveyancers have managed to sort in the last month and or week. The numbers are phenomenal. You should all be extremely proud of everything that you have achieved and continue to achieve over the coming weeks.
I know for me, during times of stress and pressure. Never mind the feeling of never-ending lockdowns, dark nights and mornings and the constant feeling of being at home either working or being a mum, I never took time to be kind to myself. As such this impacted how I acted with others, I didn’t mean it to, it’s just a knock-on effect of what happened.
Then I saw this little piece of advice:
“Kindness begins with me.”
If I wasn’t kind to myself, how could I be kind to others?
So, now with light at the end of the lockdown tunnel seemingly ever brighter thanks to the potential roadmap and vaccine roll-out, and brighter nights and mornings demonstrating that spring is on its way, I wanted to share my top five tips for being kind.
- Practice self-kindness and spend 30 minutes doing something you love a day
- Smile more, those who encounter you – even over video messaging – will smile back
- Compliment and/or thank professionals you’re working closely with, either inside or outside of your firm. This can really help to bolster someone’s mood, especially as you never know what’s happening on the other side of the computer screen.
- Share good news with your team. If you’ve just received fantastic feedback from a client, share it with everyone, so they all know they’ve helped someone move into their dream home
- Express your empathy. Often the greatest gift we can someone else is the gift of empathy.
Recognising the efforts of the sector has something the industry has come out in full support of, and as such I just wanted to promote The British Conveyancing Awards that are running later on this year, which will take the time to recognise everyone who has worked relentlessly in the sector. It’s Today’s Conveyancer’s way of applauding and awarding everyone’s successes over the last 12 months. Find out more about The British Conveyancing Awards here.
If you are unsure where to turn, the Conveyancing Foundation’s Be Kind, We Care, initiative which has a dedicated resource hub, which offers access to a host of useful guides, top tips, podcasts and webinars to provide support to the industry.
Is there anyone you want to give a special nod to with regards to showing kindness during these trying times? Email [email protected]ancer.co.uk and we’ll share your kind words with the sector.